Students with disabilities and their families face a complex maze of policies and procedures when seeking the education and services they are legally entitled. Through our research, the Center has found that navigating special education within the charter system can be particularly daunting and many families are not aware of their children’s right to attend a charter school. That’s why we seek opportunities to better understand the factors influencing family choices related to where their children attend school through research projects that include family surveys and targeted family groups.
While we are not able to provide individualized support, the following list of resources provides helpful information on a variety of topics impacting families.
- Broad National Resource Collections
- Center for Parent Information and Resources – a collection of resources for parents of students with disabilities
- National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) – resources for students with learning disabilities and their families
- Understood.org – helpful guidance for people with disabilities
- If You Need Individualized Advocacy Support
- Resources/ Information from Disability Advocacy Organizations
- Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA) – legal resources for students with disabilities and their families
- Statewide Parent Advocacy Network (SPAN)– Resources for Families